In the first of what will be a weekly series, All Those Yesterdays will be a look back at the highlights of each round in years gone by. Whether it be a huge bag of goals, a classic comeback or just a controversial incident, each week we will delve through the archives to bring you a slice of the past in VFL/AFL football.

The opening round of the 1965 season saw three VFL clubs play their first matches at new home venues. Richmond shifted from Punt Road in what would be a permanent move to play home matches at the MCG. They battled their now co-tenant, reigning premiers Melbourne and fell by just six points in front of a healthy crowd of 36,282, with Bill Barrot booting three for the Tigers.

In what was a largely successful move for nearly three decades, St Kilda vacated the Junction Oval and shifted down the Nepean Highway to Moorabbin Oval. The Saints began their 1965 campaign in front of what would be a record attendance of 51,370 and those fans that crammed into Moorabbin saw the Saints defeat Collingwood by just six points after trailing by three points at three-quarter time.

In a bizarre move, North Melbourne shifted from Arden Street to Coburg Oval for what would be only the one season, and it began poorly as the Shinboners suffered a 10-point defeat to South Melbourne, after booting a horribly inaccurate 1.12 in the first half. A disappointing 13,774 attended the first of what would only be nine VFL matches at the Coburg venue.

Moving forward to round one, 1992 and Hawthorn’s Jason Dunstall went to town, helping himself to 12 goals against the Cats. The 1991 premiers started slowly, trailing Geelong by 28 points at the long break. However, the Hawks rallied after half time, kicking 14 goals to six in the second half to run out 20-point winners in front of 34,677 fans at Waverley Park. For the Cats, skipper Mark Bairstow led from the front with 29 disposals and four goals.

The upset of the round was from Footscray, as they traveled across the border to Football Park to take on the Adelaide Crows in front of more than 40,000 croweaters. The Bulldogs jumped out of the blocks to lead by 24 points at the first change and this was a lead they never surrendered, running out 27-point winners in what would be the first of 16 wins for the rejuvenated Footscray in 1992. Simon Atkins with 25 disposals and two goals was the Bulldogs best, closely followed closely by veteran Doug Hawkins with 24 touches and three goals.

In a round where only four games were played, the two other matches saw Carlton retrieve a 27-point half time deficit to overcome the Brisbane Bears at Carrara, with Carlton skipper Stephen Kernahan kicking five goals, and in a high-scoring encounter at Waverley, St.Kilda put paid to Essendon with a 17-point win. The Saints were wasteful in front of goal kicking 18.20, with Tony Lockett and Stewart Loewe the main offenders kicking 8.7 between them, Lockett with the majority of the goals, booting 7.4.

Next week, we take a look back at the memorable moments in the history of round two.

Previous articleThe Missing Link: Carlton
Next articleAFL set to take control of AFL Tasmania
As a holder of a Bachelor of Business, Damien now works as a car driver, but his real life passion is AFL. As a self-confessed stats nerd he has either read or owns every football book worth reading. Although he only began writing in 2012, Damien has quickly developed a passion for it, loving the ability to share ideas on foot and reflection on how things have changed over time. Damien looks forward to expressing his opinion for Drop Punt News.